Looking Forward 2012 – Palm Beach County Medical Society
As we look forward to 2012, we recognize that medicine is changing rapidly. While many changes may be disruptive, challenging and fraught with uncertainty - they will also be transformational.
If we are to meet the challenges we must think in new ways and work together – physicians, hospitals, patients, business and community. This approach has been the foundation of our Future of Medicine Initiative and will be the cornerstone of our future efforts. Physicians have a unique opportunity to shape the future of health care. Yesterday’s competitors may very well become tomorrow’s partners.
Palm Beach County Medical Society is committed to transforming our organization and to engage physicians through the following strategies:
• Learn from best practices of other communities and organizations
• Explore and develop opportunities to ensure the viability of physician’s practices
• Listen to the issues and concerns of physicians and health care providers
• Actively engage in policy deliberations at the local, state and national levels
• Work with other health care organizations and providers to develop a “world class “ health care
delivery system in Palm Beach County
• Support and enhance the efforts of our medical education and residency programs
• Creating a new future requires developing new leadership skills – including collaboration, systems thinking, and governing
• Embrace technology and develop means to effectively communicate between physicians, hospitals, and with patients
The path of uncertainty that health care has been on will continue in the coming year with the Supreme Court scheduled to hear arguments regarding the constitutionality of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act in late March. Whether or not the law is repealed, change is underway and dramatic changes in health care delivery are taking place. It is not an option to go back. The clear choice is to move forward, coming together to represent the best interests of medicine and our patients.
Dr. Jack Zeltzer is President of the Palm Beach County Medical Society. For more information about Palm Beach County Medical Society, visit www.pbcms.org.